Sunday, April 17, 2011

Dealing with Stress...


STRESSED out? Maybe this can help.

 



It started on a Sunday. My washing machine held all the girls pants hostage.

How does a washing machine do that?

The lovely door locks. It made a sound like it was trying to drain, and would not stop. This caused the locking mechanism to become permanently locked.

So...

Monday comes around and we tear the washing machine apart to see what the deal is.

It got clogged with pillow debris from an exploded tiny pillow.

Feathers you say?

Nope,

Blueish stringy stuff that took days to clean out. It caused the water to be pure blue dye.

Then...

The vacuum starts making a horrible sound and isn't picking up stuff. RRRRh.

Then...

We get all the gunk out of the washing machine, put it (mostly) back together and start a very small load to clean out the left over debris and blue water.

As i am fixing the vacuum, I notice the sound of a waterfall. Skyler and I look around weirdly then we both ran to the laundry room to see ALL the water gushing out of the bottom into the room and the family room. Now...

Remember how I told you it was blue water? Well know my carpet is blue and green and very wet.

@#%$@#%^$^%!!!!!

As I am frantically trying to stop the water from gushing everywhere, my daughter informs me the dishwasher is not working. I just bought it!!!

I am also trying to get Recession Boards advertising going and transferring pictures to the new Note Book hard drive we bought. None of these things are working including the internet!!!!!!!

During this time, Danny is also trying to make dinner. I try to help and slice open my finger good.

So... I give up and go outside on the deck and cry. Yes, I admit that I cried. The mess was horrible, the stink is unbearable and it is too cold to open windows. I hurt. Yes the cut was a good slice.

Then...

I prayed. As I prayed, Jack and Bree came and sat on my lap worried about my crying and loved me. I then hear a meow behind me and see the neighbors fat cat Luna, sitting behind me. Alisha came out and kissed me on the cheek and...

It was only then, did I feel a sense of calm and control in an otherwise haywire environment. Rather than running to bed under covers to recoup. attacking something overdue that didn't require a lot of heavy mental debate actually helped to lessen the load. And helped make me feel better.

So I got up and tried to help finish the tasks that needed to be done. Attacking the things that needed to be done with a positive attitude helped lesson the heavy load that needed to be done.  And it helped that the kids just stepped up to help get things done and make me feel better.



 Lately I have needed to mentally wipe out everything under the sun and focus on me. I need some time to release the negative energy that is eating away at me.



Rather than running to bed under covers to recoup,  attacking something overdue that didn't require a lot of heavy mental debate actually helped to lessen the load. And helped make me feel better.

Being productive helped me this round. But it isn't always the answer. Here are some other stress busters that help me.
Beating stress

Learn to say I need to do something I would like to do...



I have an issue with doing what everyone else wants to do and never taking time to enjoy the things I like. I need to take time for myself. Being creative helps me a lot.



Loosen up your day. 

I like to schedule ONE main event per day and the rest may or may not follow on that given day. This allows mandatory breathing room which alleviates lots of stress.




Take a REAL day off

I often get calls on the weekend about work. Know what? I've reclaimed my weekends back. Meaning, I will do it if I want to do it on a weekend. We all need time off from schedules and demands.

And if that means doing nothing, good for me!

Just give yourself permission to do nothing for a short while. You'll be amazed what you end up doing. :)


 Go for a walk, yoga or some other type of excercise

I find that if I dance, walk, hike, or try yoga, I feel so much more relaxed and full of positive energy. Sometimes you need to  exit out the front door when you've had enough, I highly encourage you to do so. Better yet? Put exercise on your daily agenda and you may not even REACH shut down mode. Walking and stretching really helps me but I can't always get out on my own when needed. Lucky you if you can!


 Hold off when rattled

I NOW have a rule. If I'm rattled about something, I give my decision 24 hours. Whether it's dealing with work, family, life or something I'm not sure on, or whatever, give yourself a bit of chill time and your decisions on things will be more sound. 90% of the time I come up with a better plan of action if I give myself this critical time.

High emotion triggers immediate response. And it may be the wrong kind. Be strong and hang on!


Temporarily shut down

Cry. Or maybe you just need a short nap. Stop the world and just take a short mental vacation. Do what you have to do. You'll be glad you did.


Talk to those you trust

Having family and friends to rattle things by helps me. Sometimes I use Facebook, my blog or pray when I'm attempting to work through something. Even my dogs hear more than they ought to. :)

Find someone to talk to when you need it. Even if to just be heard.

But use common sense. Just make sure you don't share anything too terribly personal nor emotional online. And please... don't diss someone online. It really makes you sound uncool. AND could come back to haunt you! I have learned my lesson.

 Listen to yourself

Do others think you're mad? Or yelling? Maybe you are but don't mean to. Stop and listen to yourself. Then adjust accordingly.


Feel a bit crazy? Go see your doctor.

You never know if what you're feeling could be more than what you can handle on your own.

I'm not endorsing taking meds for just anything, but please check in with your doctor if you feel you simply can't cope. There could be more going on than you realize.
 



Avoid troublemakers

Ever lose your cool with someone you weren't even angry with? Others do this too.

Upset people generally have way bigger issues than you.  Don't take it personally. Cope, stay ON TOPIC even if they don't, then let it go. More cases than not, it's not about you.

Then again, some relationships just flat out cause stress.  Remind yourself you can pick and choose whom you deal with for the most part. Can't pick and choose this one? See above. But if you can, pick good people that fill you with hope and encouragement, not those that drive you repeatedly over the brink!

Choose your acquaintances wisely.


Delegate

I know, I know. Only you do it best. But look at what you're doing to yourself!

Let go of that perfectionism and delegate what needs to be done. You really do need the help.

(I'm pointing at myself on this one BIG time)



 Do what's on the list

You're overwhelmed and you even made a list of all your to do's, yes? Well, revert back to the list and just do it. It never lies. Don't have a list? MAKE ONE.

 Identify your cause of stress

Ever feel awful but don't really know why? You could be repressing what your issues are. This only creates more issues down the line.

Identify what's causing you stress and work at it one by one. Many swing to bad habits to run away from the real issues. Don't let that happen to you.




Got that messy house? 

Hack at it while you can. You will feel better once it's clean. But in the meantime, I grant you permission to wear this shirt. :) Hee...

 Write a post on how you're feeling

So what's really going on? It's officially crazy with the kids and their school and my work has been at an all time high pace.  I feel like I'm going a little crazy.

So with that in mind, I need to follow my own advice and read this 100 times until I chill myself. And loosen things up a bit while trying to belt out the work. And see if I can't fit in some time to play somewhere. I miss my hammer and my walks. :)


Ahhh... much better!

What are your worst causes of stress?
Got any favorite stress busters you can share?

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Yay, for prayer! My favorite (when I remember to do it way to relieve stress) Love you!