Saturday, February 23, 2013

Angels among us...

Therapy has been pretty good so far. My cardiologist Dr. Packer, therapist Dr. Williams and family doctor Shawn Gibbs worked together to get my insurance to pay for a better anxiety/depression medicine. It costs a lot, but we are hopeful that this one will work and keep my heart from being distressed by simply being me.
I am finding music to be a huge part of my therapy. Through music we can empathize and relate to other people and express our sadness, love, happiness, anger and being stronger for ourselves.


I loved playing the piano and flute. I felt my soul being lighter and brighter.


Same with dance. That is my true passion. When dancing I don't think, my body just moves with every note and beat.


I may look stupid, but it is a life force....

 All the elements coming together through self expression. All the tension, sadness and worries replaced by peace, joy and creativity.


I am saddened by schools getting rid of the arts and music in schools. I read about The Sarah McLachlan School of Music which provides music education to underserved and at-risk youth at no cost. The school is dedicated to helping young people build community and find their voice. A therapy source.

She says "When I was growing up, we had music in our schools. It was a given. These days many of these programs are not available. I don’t know what I would have done without music in my life when I was growing up. I was unpopular and picked on, but for me, music was my refuge and solace – the one thing I knew I was good at; it fed me and kept me going.”
- Sarah McLachlan

When Sarah McLachlan asked herself what music had given her, she realized that music had taught her that she was good enough, that she had something to offer. This feeling of pride and self worth was paramount to her growing up. Music gave her the tools she needed to make it through the challenges she faced in life. The thought that there were children who might not experience the joy that music brings seemed unacceptable to her. She decided that she could make a difference by bringing music into the lives of young people who might not have access to music education. For Sarah, music is a gift. It is a powerful fire that can ignite passion and energy.


I wish I could find a way to do something for others the way she did instead of feeling so powerless...

So I donated money to the school in honor of my Grandma, Jane Kimball Lamb, who truly inspires me and who taught me the love and magic of music with her gifts and love of the violin.



Sarah McLachlan's "Angel"


This song has lifted me and also reminded me of my dear cousin who had an addiction to meth. I always thought of her and prayed for her to find peace. When it was played at her funeral I cried. This was her song, but now it is too my song. Angels were with me and took me away from the excruciating pain and fear for just a little while until I was ready to come back.

No comments: